Anger is natural; it is an emotion that happens when we perceive a threat. However, there are times when anger becomes detrimental to our well-being.
“Anger problems are usually defined as:
- Get angry often
- The level of anger is too high for the situation
- Affecting your relationships and ability to cope with everyday life
If you have struggled with anger or rage issues, you may be considering taking an anger management course. The best anger management classes, often taught by a therapist, are a form of behavioral therapy that can help you identify triggers and manage your anger in everyday life. Anger management classes will vary in duration, cost and delivery method.
Here are our picks for anger management courses worth taking.
Online-Therapy.com is a prepaid therapy program that targets negative behaviors and thought patterns associated with anger.
This program is the best anger management class overall because it is well organized and highly structured. Unlike other online anger management options, it connects you with a therapist who will work with you one-on-one. While there is no specific anger management class at Online-Therapy.com, anger management can be a part of your therapy sessions. Weekly therapy sessions can be completed by phone or video call. Matching worksheets and educational content are available.
One caveat to Online-Therapy.com is that there are tiered subscription levels. Weekly video calls with a therapist are only available at higher levels, while educational content is available at all levels. The basic level offers an eight-part cognitive behavioral therapy program with 25 worksheets, unlimited messaging to your therapist, yoga, meditation and other activities. More are unlocked as you level up.
Costs: Subscriptions start at $40 per week. The first month is 20% off.
Best features of Online-Therapy.com:
- You work directly with a therapist, allowing for more personalization to meet your needs.
- Online-Therapy.com anger management courses use cognitive behavioral therapy methods.
- Individual and family therapy is available.
Things to consider:
- With Online-Therapy.com, there is no certificate of completion at the end.
- There are tiered subscription levels that offer different things. The more you pay, the more features are available.
- Online therapy is not available in all 50 states.
Open the way
Open Path offers both court-ordered anger management classes and personal growth classes available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The goal of Open Path is to help you identify what triggers your anger and learn practical ways to manage your reactions. Courses teach stress reduction skills such as meditation. Open Path offers affordable courses that meet most warrant requirements. Courses vary in length, from four ($17) to 52 hours ($115).
Costs: $5 one-time registration fee. Courses start at $17.
Best Features of Open Path:
- Open Path advertises a free first course, so it’s a good option for people on a budget.
- After completing the courses, you will receive an instant certificate that will meet the requirements of the court.
Things to consider:
- You do not have the option to select or research your instructor before enrolling in an Open Path course.
- There are no live course options; everything is online.
Udemy is the best budget anger management class available for just $16. Udemy’s Anger Management course provides you with 3 hours of video content and 21 downloadable resources to keep after the course.
Udemy offers a short lesson that does not have access to a therapist; it’s a simple option. But that’s why a lot of people like it. A benefit I liked about Udemy courses is that you can preview the course before you take it. Since Udemy has many anger management classes, this is a great way to ensure that you choose the class that best suits your needs.
Costs: $16 for Anger Management Techniques That Really Work
Top Udemy Features:
- With Udemy, you can choose from several anger management classes.
- It is online and you can take as long as you need to complete the course.
- Lifetime access to resources after course completion.
Things to consider:
- All Udemy videos are pre-recorded so there is no interaction with the advisor.
- A certificate of completion is not guaranteed to meet court requirements.
Betterhelp is our pick for the best anger management therapy because of its robust offerings and trained professionals. Betterhelp does not offer stand-alone anger management classes. Instead, with Betterhelp, you get a comprehensive therapy option that can target the root of your anger issues and offer solutions and coping strategies.
Betterhelp is a good choice for those who want a more involved therapy experience for managing their anger rather than a certificate at the end. Communicate via SMS or calls. Anger management classes and group therapy are available.
Costs: Sessions cost $60 to $90 per week. The price depends on your needs and the qualifications of your therapist.
Best Features of Betterhelp:
- It offers a comprehensive therapeutic approach to anger management with a network of 24,000 therapists.
- Betterhelp offers private therapy sessions with your therapist, so it’s a great option if you want to avoid group sessions.
Things to consider:
- Betterhelp’s robust therapy offerings make it more expensive than simple certification programs.
- There is no guarantee that the courts will accept it.
Masters of Wrath
Anger Masters offers one of the best anger management classes taught by National Anger Management Association certified instructors. The online courses offered through Anger Masters are self-paced, meaning you can do them in your own time.
While it focuses on anger management, you have the option of taking custom courses that address other needs. You have the option to choose the length of the course; Anger Masters offers courses ranging from 4 to 52 hours in length.
Costs: Courses start at $25. Anger Masters offers a price match if you find a more affordable, comparable course. The offer is 50% of the competitor’s price.
Best features of Anger Master:
- The free certificate of graduation is accepted in all 50 states.
- If the court or your employer does not accept the certificate, Anger Masters will refund your money.
- You are in control of how quickly you progress through your courses.
Things to consider:
- Anger Masters is completely online and self-paced. It may not be the best choice for you if you are not someone who likes online education.
- You are not working with a therapist, which means there are no live lessons.
- All information is educational and not medical advice.
The Logan Group
It can be difficult to determine whether the court will accept the anger management class you have taken. This is where Logan Group shines – specializing in making it easier to navigate the court system. Courses are flexible and self-paced; you will complete them when you have time. You also have the option to choose the duration of the course. Logan Group offers courses measured in hours and others measured in weeks – you can choose how far you want to go.
A range of affordable courses are available through the Logan Group, including shoplifting, road rage and problem solving courses. Licensed counselors developed the Logan Group courses.
Costs: Courses start at $25.
Best features of Logan Group:
- Logan Group offers price customization.
- You can print your registration confirmation letter from your dashboard.
Things to consider:
- It is a completely online, self-paced program with no access to therapists.
- There are no live courses to attend.
How we picked the best online anger management courses
To select the best online anger management courses, we evaluated each program on several metrics—course length, cost, user reviews, and instructor qualifications. We also considered how the program meets court requirements and offers proof of completion.
What are anger management classes?
Anger management courses are courses designed to help individuals manage anger through coping strategies such as deep breathing and stress management. Anger management classes, usually taught by a therapist, can be in person, in groups, or online.
Do Anger Management Classes Work?
Yes, anger management classes work. A 2017 study found that participants’ levels of aggression decreased in the days following anger management classes. Keep in mind that not all anger management classes are created equal. It is important to assess each class based on your needs and goals.
How to Choose the Best Anger Management Class?
There are many anger management classes, all of which differ in what they offer and how they deliver it. The truth is that not all of them will be the best fit for your specific needs. Before signing up for an anger management course, you need to understand your mental health goals and needs.
Here are questions to ask yourself before choosing the best anger management class:
What are the symptoms of anger problems?
Anger problems are characterized by an inability to manage anger and experiencing levels of anger that are inappropriate for the situation. Those with anger management problems are more likely to engage in arguments and physical fights. Anger problems can also affect interpersonal relationships.
Anger management courses and therapies offer ways to identify triggers, develop coping strategies, and control emotions.
Read more: Best app for mental health
How much do anger management courses cost?
Anger management classes will vary in price, although typically expect a shorter 4-hour course to cost around $25-$30. Larger classes will cost more.
Most anger management classes are not covered by insurance. And some classes don’t accept insurance at all. There are exceptions if the class is considered a medical emergency. It’s a good idea to talk to your insurance company ahead of time to find out what your excess is.
What is the difference between anger management classes and therapy?
The most significant difference between anger management classes and therapy is your relationship with the therapist. Traditional therapy has a direct line between therapist and client. Treatment is tailored to your needs.
On the other hand, anger management classes are often taught by therapists in a larger setting. The lessons are not tailored specifically to your anger triggers and coping skills. They can take place in a group or individually.
Read more: Best Online Psychiatry Services
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions regarding health conditions or health goals.