If you were born with full, long eyelashes, then congratulations to you. The rest of us who want Bambi-like lashes have to wear false eyelashes, book an appointment for lash extensions, or start an endless search for the one true mascara that will give us the lash length we’ve always had. dreaming about all our lives. The good thing is, there isn’t just one mascara out there to help anyone lacking in the lash department. In fact, there are tons – it’s all a matter of what to look for when buying the best mascara for short eyelashes.
The best mascara for short eyelashes, at a glance
- Best overall mascara: Tom Ford Extreme Mascara, $46
- Best for Spinal Cords: Maybelline Sky High Mascara, $13
- Best Vegan/Cruelty Free Mascara: Thrive Liquid Vascular Dilation Mascara, $30
- The best everyday mascara: MAC Cosmetics Extreme Dimension 3D Black Lash Mascara, $26
- Best Waterproof Mascara: Giorgio Armani Killer Eyes Classic Defining & Lengthening Mascara, $29
- Best Pure Mascara: Merit Clean Lash Lengthening Tubing Mascara, $26
- The best precision mascara: Byredo Astronomical Volumizing Mascara, $46
- The best volumizing mascara: Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lash Volumizing and Lengthening Mascara, $29
- Best Weather Mascara: Milk Makeup RISE Lifting + Lengthening Mascara, $28
- Best Lengthening Mascara: Cosmetic Benefits Are Real! Mascara, $27
- Best luxury mascara: Clé de Peau Beauté Perfect Lash Mascara, $55
- Best drugstore mascara: Essence Lash Princess, $4
- Best Buildable Mascara: Gucci L’Obscur Lengthening Mascara, $35
- Best High Drama Mascara: You Face Much Better Than Sex, $28
- Best Lash Curling Mascara: Yves Saint Laurent The Curler Lengthening and Curling Mascara, $29
- Best color mascara: Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara, $30
Tobi Henney, a makeup artist whose clients include Ashley Graham, Jessica Alba, and Olivia Culpo, says that people with short lashes should definitely look to lengthening mascara to get the illusion of longer lashes. “Small fibers are great in mascara as they help build an extra layer around each lash and make it look fuller and longer,” she says.
When it comes to application tips, makeup artist Omayma Ramzy, whose clients are Sydney Sweeney, Jenna Elfman, and Chloe Bennet, curls her lashes “right at the root and gently drops the curl.” But the most interesting thing is that Ramzy likes to always have two mascaras on hand: the new one, the newest one, and the “tacky” one that he has had for a long time. Ramzy will apply the old mascara first to get thicker roots, then follow the newer one to add length through the second and third coats.
Now that you’re equipped with all the expert advice you need, it’s time to learn about the best mascara for short lashes. Keep browsing some of Henny and Ramzy’s favorites, including the best lengthening mascara, the best vegan and cruelty-free mascara, and more.
1. Best Mascara Overall: Tom Ford Extreme Mascara – $46.00
A longtime staple of mascara aficionados, Tom Ford’s classic mascara is known for the intense drama it brings to the lashes, thanks to the long bristle brush. Henney is a big fan: “It creates bigger beats!” he says. “It creates more drama up and down. The formula is very sweet which I also like.”
2. Best for Bold Lashes: Maybelline Sky High Mascara – $13.00
Maybelline’s Sky High Mascara got the TikTok treatment, and for very good reason. The formula is not only buildable and easy to wear, but it also feels lightweight and won’t weigh your lashes down. This could be due to its lash-loving formula, which contains nourishing bamboo extract. This is also Henney’s favorite for “creating a powerful lash that will make your lashes appear twice as big!”
3. Best Vegan/Cruelty-Free Mascara: Liquid Eyelash Extensions Mascara for Lash Extensions — $30.00
When it comes to cruelty-free (and vegan) mascara, you can’t go wrong with Thrive Causemetics, which is actually a tube mascara. According to Ramzy, it coats your lashes, making them “luscious and long.” Ramzy also loves that the formula is powered by orchid stem cells, which are known to support eyelash growth. Other bonuses? You don’t have to worry about burning or flaking, and it’s easy to wash off, so there’s no risk of damaging your lashes.
6. Merit Clean Mascara: Merit Clean Lash Lengthening Tubing Mascara — $26.00
If you like sheer mascara, check out this one from Merit Beauty. The precision brush allows you to add drama to your lashes without making them stiff or spidery. It also contains rice bran, which helps with length and texture, as well as fatty acids and olive oil esters for condition and nutrition. Ramzy says this tubular mascara style helps add length to shorter lashes with every coat you swipe.
7. Best Precision Mascara: Byredo Astronomical Volumizing Mascara — $46.00
“This is the newest mascara on the market and I love the green packaging,” says Henney. He also says the wand, which is curved and made of silicone bristles, is great for lifting eyelashes. “I think this is a really fun mascara to add to your collection if you’re looking for something new to try!” he says. You will definitely look great on your vanity!
9. Best Conditioning Mascara: Milk Makeup RISE Lifting + Lengthening Mascara — $28.00
For a mascara that’s so lightweight you’ll forget you’re even wearing mascara, reach for the RISE Milk option. With a vegan formula that contains a nourishing blend of monoi oil and marigold extract, your lashes will be in tip-top shape before you even swipe on the mascara. It also contains a powerful, yet lightweight blend of four botanical waxes, such as carnauba wax, sunflower seed wax, tree berry wax, and candelilla wax.
12. Best Drugstore Mascara: Essence Lash Princess – $4.00
Another BeautyTok favorite, Lash Princess dominates the drugstore mascara market, thanks to its long-lasting and lengthening power at an affordable price to boot. All that drama for only five bucks? Sign us up. The bristle brush allows you to apply two to three coats without your lashes feeling heavy or creasing, so it’s no wonder fans are switching from their pricier mascaras to this one.
13. Best Buildable Mascara: Gucci L’Obscur Lengthening Mascara — $35.00
This award-winning mascara uses a flexible brush with elastomer bristles that grips your lashes, allowing them to lift and separate easily, while evenly coating the lashes with product. You can be light with the application of a thin look, or apply multiple coats for a more intense look without creases. The brush is also great for getting into the hardest to reach areas, the corner of the eyelid.
14. Best High Drama Mascara: Faces So Much Better Than Sex — $28.00
With one of the cheekiest names ever given to a beauty product, Too Faced’s Better Than Sex mascara was a flying icon. But it’s also not messy at all. This mascara has an hourglass-shaped brush with full bristles that instantly coats the lashes while curling them. The formula also contains collagen tree extract and acacia senegal for extra strength. Just one easy coat and you’ll be giving all the drama you need.
16. Best Color Mascara: Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara — $30.00
Dior’s popular runway mascara is already as good as a classic black option, as it thickens, lengthens, and lifts lashes without choking them down. But if you’re looking for something fun, like a colored mascara, add “Catwalk Blue” to your cart. The striking shade of blue will dispel any and all notions of being “80s” (although, these days, it’s probably cooler).
Want to be the first to hear about the latest (and greatest) SHOP product offers, special collections, discounts and more? Sign up to get intel sent straight to your inbox.
Our editors select these products independently. Buying through our links may earn Well+Good a commission.